Thursday, June 9, 2011

Blessings not so disguised

While it has been tough this last week, our friends and family have made things SO much easier for us. Especially Becky and Devin Stephens. They are a couple in our ward who already do so much for the members. They are extremely busy, but when they heard of Tim's accident they immediately offered help. First they had me over for dinner while Tim was still in the ICU. Then they agreed to stay with Tim while I had to work Wednesday night.

Wednesday was a rough day for me. For normal people, perhaps, it would be no big deal. But for starters I'm always tired. Then I took Tim in for some medical appointments at the fort and it just seemed so hard on him physically. Just getting to and from the car, then anywhere inside the buildings seemed like a project. To top it all off it seemed like we were getting the run around at the hospital. We spent around 5 hours at an appointment and in the hospital getting a walker and Tim's prescriptions. Also on our docket was to check out and (hopefully) purchase a new couch and recliner we found on Craigslist. We thought it might be more comfortable for Tim to have a recliner to sit in while he's injured, and we'd been looking into new furniture. (If any of you have seen our floral print couch you know why.) I took Tim home, then left to check them out. They were ok but not in as good as a condition as I'd hoped. But the deal was good, our friend with a truck was ready to help move them, and my brother was there to help load and unload. We bought them, brought them home, and then it was already time for me to leave for work.

This is where the Stephens come back in. They had agreed to come stay with Tim. They brought with them homemade soup and bread that were absolutely delicious. While I was gone they (with Tim's help!) did the dishes, switched the laundry, and scrubbed down the new couch and recliner. Let me tell you this was no small thing! There were stains and food and crumbs and stink all over them. Yet they cleaned them!! It would have taken me all day to do it, as was the plan. But I walked in the door to a clean, calm home. I cried :) Not that it takes much to make me cry, but this was definitely more than just a pregnant hormone thing. I couldn't believe they would do all of that just to help us out. Lately I have felt so overwhelmed and stressed. To be shown such kindness and selflessness was a huge blessing. I don't even know how to describe how grateful I am for what they did. That's why I wanted to write this, so that hopefully other people can read about it and:

1) know what wonderful people Becky and Devin are
2) know that we are being taken care of
3) be inspired to be willing to help others during their time of need

We all know it's hard to ask for help. Not only asking for it, but accepting when people offer. But sometimes the Lord knows it's just what we need. He doesn't give us more than we can handle, and maybe that means sending other people to help us deal with that which seems like too much.

3 comments:

  1. Kim, you are so sweet! I know you would have helped us out if the roles had been reversed! You and Tim are some of the kindest people we know. And, I've appreciated your example of faith through all of this! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a great friend! The Lord is definitely looking out for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I also am grateful to the Stephens for their assistance in this, our time of need. What makes things difficult, however, is the fact that my eyes already take a minute to adjust to just about anything, and trying to read this post was one of the hardest things ive had to do this week (I know, I have not had a very eventful, or difficult week). Please look into something a little more solid on the eyes as far as a background or something.

    Affectionately yours,

    Tim

    ReplyDelete