Friday, April 2, 2010

Brand New Eyes


So yesterday I got new eyes...they're AWESOME!!! Ok, so they're not new. They're just my old eyes, but altered. The process was pretty simple, taking about 20 min for both eyes. Here's the process, in case you're curious: About 20 min. before the procedure they gave me valium. I'm pretty sure that's the first time I've ever had it, and I LIKED it! ;)

So after that started working, I went into the procedure room. There they taped my eyelashes to my eyelid, gave a little anesthetic droppety drop, and put this other thing on my eye to keep it open. Then they created a vacuum so that they could make a clean cut when cutting the flap of my cornea. It felt REALLY weird to feel them--and SEE them--cut my eye open!!Once the flap was removed, the laser (is laser spelled with an "s" or a "z"?) took about 13 sec to remove the misshapen part of my cornea that was causing the astigmatism. Then they did that to the other eye. You know, with the right eye, which they did first, it kinda hurt. But the left eye didn't really hurt.

So after the procedure the doc told me that most patients that day had a lazer treatment of like 7 sec. Mine was twice that! Apparently my astigmatism was super bad... but now it's gone!! The best part of it all was that I got a super cool pair of goggles to wear home--and the rest of the day I looked like a fighter-pilot, or so I was told ;)

At home things went pretty well. I felt great. But after about an hour, the anesthetic eye drops wore off and it HURT like a mother!! I couldn't stop crying. It was pretty pathetic, because then my super cool goggles would fog up!! It didn't really matter though, because I couldn't open my eyes to see out of them anyway. So I took some pain meds and a sleeping pill, and soon enough I felt ok--just a little weird b/c I was wearing fighter pilot goggles. :)

And this morning I woke up and could see!! I had a follow-up appointment this morning, and apparently my vision is 20/25. Not perfect, but over the next week it should just get better and better. I'm definitely not regretting this decision!! I LOVE not wearing contacts, but being able to see! And so far the side effects aren't too bad... so I guess what I'm saying is, if you're considering getting LASIK, it's AWESOME!!!!

1 comment:

  1. OH man! Lasik would be awesome! Congratulations on your new eyes

    ReplyDelete